The company’s official press release:
LOS ANGELES – FEBRUARY 15, 2018 – Marvel’s “Black Panther” reigns supreme at the top of Fandango’s Fanticipation Buzz Index with a royal 99 out of 100 points, easily crushing all competitors in Fandango’s weekend sales.
With a few hours to go before its very first domestic showtimes, “Black Panther” has taken its place among Fandango’s Top 5 Presellers of All Time. As Fandango’s fourth biggest advance ticket-seller ever, “Black Panther” follows the last three “Star Wars” movies in presales.
As of Thursday, the new list of top 5 presellers in Fandango’s 18-year history is as follows:
- “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (2015)
- “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” (2017)
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016)
- “Black Panther” (2018)
- “The Hunger Games” (2012)
“Black Panther”’s rise includes setting the following presales records:
- Top Superhero Preseller: “Black Panther” has already outsold “Captain America: Civil War” and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” in Fandango presales.
- Top February Preseller: “Black Panther” presales are already greater than presales for “Fifty Shades of Grey” and “Deadpool” on Fandango.
- Top First Quarter Preseller: “Black Panther” has blazed past Fandango’s previous Q1 presales champs, “The Hunger Games” and “Beauty and the Beast.”
According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 “Black Panther” moviegoers:
- 94% are curious to see what Marvel has in store for its first black superhero movie.
- 90% cannot wait to see the film’s dynamic female characters.
- 80% are excited to see the film’s African fashion and design.
- 61% are considering repeat viewings of “Black Panther,” before they’ve even seen it.
“The excitement is palpable,” says Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis. “Along with its groundbreaking ensemble cast, Marvel’s record-shattering film has immense depth, heart, and a soulfulness that sets it apart from all the superhero movies that have come before it.”
At Fandango FanShop, “Black Panther” merchandise continues to fly off the shelves, including T-shirts, caps, socks, jewelry, Funko Pop! figures of T’Challa, Shuri, and Killmonger, and more. Fans buying “Black Panther” tickets on Fandango will receive a complimentary “Black Panther” movie poster from FanShop, while supplies last. Plus, Fandango is also offering limited edition “Black Panther” collectible movie gift cards here.
Known for having its finger on the pulse of moviegoers, Fandango’s movie buzz indicator, Fanticipation, provides statistical insight into the movies fans are planning to see in a given weekend. Fanticipation scores (based on a 1 to 100-point scale) are calculated via an algorithm of Fandango’s advance ticket sales, website and mobile traffic, and social media engagement. Fanticipation is not intended as a forecast of the weekend box office; it is a snapshot of movie fan sentiment. Fandango is the ultimate digital network for all things movies, reaching more than 60 million unique visitors per month across its portfolio of digital properties, according to comScore.
Fandango is the ultimate digital network for all things movies, serving consumers with best-in-class movie information, ticketing to 29,000 screens, movie trailers and original video content for movie discovery, and home entertainment. Its portfolio reaches more than 60 million unique visitors per month, according to comScore, with 205 million app downloads, and includes popular movie properties Flixster, Rotten Tomatoes and the Tomatometer™ rating, and Fandango Movieclips, the No. 1 movie trailers and content channel on YouTube. Its new premium on-demand video service, FandangoNOW offers new release and catalog movies and next-day TV shows on a wide variety of connected, over-the-top (OTT) and mobile devices. Also part of the Fandango family are Latin America’s leading online ticketers, Ingresso.com and Fandango Latin America, formerly Cinepapaya. Movie fans can find Fandango on Facebook, Twitter, and many other social platforms.