Paramount will try to get millennials into theatres this January with Project Almanac, a time-travel flick from producer Michael Bay. Will the sci-fi flick catch on? This week BoxOffice takes a closer look at its commercial prospects.
– Producer Michael Bay is on fire following the recent success of Transformers: Age of Extinction andTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
– The film feels very similar to 2012’s Chronicle, a breakout hit that also featured teens with super powers.
– Opening in January means it could serve as a prime bit of counter-programming to Oscar bait movies.
– Teens aren’t a reliable source of attendance these days. They can turn on a film very quickly.
– Will adults over 30 be interested? We doubt it.