Two new releases hit the market this weekend, but neither will be a match for Marvel’s latest blockbuster as Captain America: Civil War is set to easily repeat atop the box office on the heels of its excellent debut and strong word of mouth. Our analysis:
- Reuniting George Clooney and Julia Roberts could be a solid counter-programming effort aimed toward adults.
- Economic thrillers are hit and miss, but the timeliness of the subject matter could be an advantage.
- Neither Clooney or Roberts have displayed significant drawing power in the last few years.
- The lack of early reviews plus soft social media buzz have us on the conservative end.
- Kevin Bacon’s leading presence could help this horror flick stand out with older genre fans.
- It’s been awhile since the last horror breakout, so fans may be hungry for this type of film.
- In all likelihood, most horror fans are waiting for other releases this summer — particularly The Conjuring 2.
- Social media buzz is also soft for this title, while marketing has been minimal.
Top 10 Forecast
Boxoffice forecasts this weekend’s top ten films will generate around $124.1 million. That would mark a 29 percent decline from the same frame last year when Pitch Perfect 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road debuted ahead of Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s third weekend, which drove the top ten to $175.5 million.
Check out our complete weekend forecast below.
|Title||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total Through
Sunday, May 15
|Captain America: Civil War||Disney||$81,000,000||$306,000,000|
|The Jungle Book (2016)||Disney||$16,500,000||$310,500,000|
|Money Monster||Sony / TriStar||$8,900,000||$8,900,000|
|Mother’s Day (2016)||Open Road||$4,800,000||$30,500,000|
|The Darkness||High Top Releasing||$4,500,000||$4,500,000|
|The Huntsman: Winter’s War||Universal||$1,800,000||$43,800,000|
|Keanu||Warner Bros. / New Line||$1,600,000||$18,300,000|
|Barbershop: The Next Cut||Warner Bros. / New Line||$1,500,000||$51,200,000|
Daniel Garris, Shawn Robbins, and Alex Edghill contributed to this report.
Share this post