Saturday Update: Warner Bros.’ Shazam! is living up to expectations this weekend as the studio reports the film earned $20.5 million on opening day Friday — including Thursday night’s $5.9 million, but excluding March 23’s $3.325 million Fandango preview earnings.
Comp-wise, the first day is similar to Ant-Man‘s $22.65 million back in July 2015, while coming in well ahead of Power Rangers‘ $14.9 million two years ago.
Internationally, Shazam! added $29.2 million from 79 markets on Friday, bringing the total overseas cume to $44.0 million. Those figures include a $15.3 million opening day in China on Friday, while excluding that country’s flash estimate of $9.8 million on Saturday.
Other overseas highlights from the studio include:
- Confirmed Friday results out of China came in at RMB 102.5m ($15.3m) on approximately 20,520 screens, ranking as the #1 U.S. Film in the market (rank #2 overall behind the opening of a local title). Saturday Flash Figures are coming in at an estimated RMB 66m ($9.8m) taking the running cume to RMB 168.5m ($25.1m). Note that the flash Saturday numbers are not included in the running international cume reported above.
- Mexico opened to an excellent Ps 30.1m ($1.6m) on 2,829 screens with a nearly 50% share of the Top 5 films. These opening day results are ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy by +22%, Ant-Man by +21% and Captain America: First Avenger by +13%.
- UK alsoopened to strong results, generating an estimated £1.2m ($1.5m) on 620 screens, taking the top spot with a 35% share of the Top 5 films. These results are coming in +4% over Captain America: First Avenger and roughly on par with Ant-Man. Including previews, the running cume is now £1.3m ($1.7m).
- India released to an estimated INR 35.3m ($511k) on 1,138 screens, ranking as the #1 U.S. Film in the market. Opening day results are more than double Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy and +19% ahead of Wonder Woman.
- And Spain debuted to an estimated €340k ($382k) on 441 screens, narrowly ranking #2 and tracking +27% ahead of Ant-Man.
- Russia (Day 2): RMB 60m ($915k) on 3,072 screens and maintaining a clear #1 with over 50% share of the Top 5 films. The cume to date is RMB 122m ($1.9m).
- Brazil (Day 2): R$ 3.0m ($774k) on 1,509 screens, continuing at #1 with a 55% share of the Top 5 films. The running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).
- Australia (Day 2): A$957k ($681k) on 507 screens, holding at #1 with a 45% share of the Top 5 five films. The cume is currently A$1.9m ($1.3m).
- UAE (Day 2): AED 2.1m ($572k) on 110 screens, #1 with a cume of AED 4.4m ($1.2m).
- Korea (Day 3): Won 642.4m ($565k) on 1,143 screens, rank #1 with the 3-day cume coming to Won 1.9b ($1.6m).
- Taiwan (Day 3): Rank #1 with NT$15.0m ($486k) from 248 screens and bringing the cume to date to NT$55.5m ($1.8m).
- Indonesia (Day 3): IDR 6.1b ($430k) on 1,029 screens, holding a 67% share of the Top 5 films. The running cume is now IDR 37.7b ($2.6m).
- Thailand (Day 2): Baht 11.8m ($373k) on 632 screens capturing a massive 82% share of the Top 5 films. The running cume is Baht 31.9m ($1.0m).
- France (Day 3): €317k ($356k) on 566 screens, continuing to rank #1 on Friday. The 3-day cume stands at £1.0m ($1.1m).
Back on the domestic front, Pet Sematary bowed to $10 million on Friday, slightly below optimistic pre-release tracking but generally within expectations as the horror remake heads toward an opening weekend in the mid-$20 million range.
Meanwhile, Dumbo added $4.932 million on Friday, while Us ($4.37 million) and Captain Marvel ($3.472 million) capped off the top five. The Best of Enemies debuted to $1.62 million.
Early weekend estimates are below.
Early Weekend Estimates (Domestic)
FRI, APR. 5 – SUN, APR. 7
|2||Pet Sematary||$25,000,000||—||3,585||—||$6,974||$25,000,000||1||Paramount Pictures|
|3||Dumbo||$19,500,000||-58%||4,259||0||$4,579||$77,547,489||2||Walt Disney Pictures|
|4||Us (2019)||$14,800,000||-55%||3,512||-231||$4,214||$153,382,995||3||Universal Pictures|
|6||The Best of Enemies||$5,300,000||—||1,705||—||$3,109||$5,300,000||1||STX Entertainment|
|7||Five Feet Apart||$3,800,000||-39%||2,484||-362||$1,530||$41,691,252||4||CBS Films|
|10||How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World||$2,200,000||-50%||1,928||-857||$1,141||$156,907,245||10||Universal / DreamWorks Animation|
|11||Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral||$1,300,000||-51%||1,101||-822||$1,181||$72,248,801||6||Lionsgate|
|1||Hotel Mumbai||$1,800,000||-44%||930||6||$1,935||$6,441,101||3||Bleecker Street|
|2||The Mustang||$800,000||34%||181||0||$4,420||$2,074,695||4||Focus Features|
|3||No Manches Frida 2||$390,000||-57%||275||-148||$1,418||$8,722,127||4||Lionsgate / Pantelion Films|
|4||The Aftermath||$380,000||2%||344||183||$1,105||$1,108,573||4||Fox Searchlight|
|5||Alita: Battle Angel||$170,000||-67%||311||-365||$547||$85,316,502||8||20th Century Fox|
|6||Green Book||$140,000||-47%||213||-234||$657||$84,768,211||21||Universal Pictures|
|7||Cold Pursuit||$68,000||-1%||118||-24||$576||$32,050,385||9||Lionsgate / Summit|
|1||Ralph Breaks the Internet||$33,000||-14%||62||-30||$532||$201,094,421||20||Disney|
|2||Mary Poppins Returns||$27,000||-46%||52||-32||$519||$171,957,087||16||Disney|
|3||Faith, Hope & Love||$12,500||-39%||8||-1||$1,563||$161,438||4||ArtAffects Entertainment|
|5||Cliffs of Freedom||$1,750||—||4||—||$438||$1,750||6|
Friday Report: Warner Bros. and DC’s Shazam! opened to a strong $5.9 million bow from Thursday night’s early shows, setting the stage for a very healthy weekend ahead.
This follows the $3.325 million earnings from Fandango previews on March 23. The studio is currently rolling the latter amount into Thursday night’s haul, making for an overall $9.225 million entry into Friday — all of which is expected to be counted in the weekend haul.
For the most apt comparisons, we’re looking specifically at the $5.9 million gross from last night’s shows to determine likely trajectories for the weekend. That figure registered:
- 59.5 percent ahead of Glass ($3.7 million)
- 34 percent behind Aquaman ($9 million excluding all pre-opening night sneaks)
- 69 percent ahead of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ($3.5 million)
- 64 percent ahead of Power Rangers ($3.6 million)
- 8 percent behind Ant-Man ($6.4 million)
Internationally, Shazam! has totaled $15.7 million across 53 markets in two days of release. Those figures exclude $16.4 million flash estimates from China’s opening day on Friday, trailing only Aquaman and Batman v Superman among other WB films.
Other Shazam! international opening highlights from the studio include:
- Taking advantage of Wednesday’s Isra Minaj public holiday in the market, Indonesia launched to an estimated IDR 15.9b ($1.1m) from 971 screens, dominating at #1 with a 73% share of the Top 5 films and claiming the 3rd Highest Grossing WB Film Opening Day Ever! These results are also +10% ahead of Ant-Man and more than double Guardians of the Galaxy. The 2 day cume is now IDR 31.5b ($2.2m).
- Russia debuted to an excellent RMB 62m ($946k) on 3,072 screens with a 57% share of the Top 5 films. These results are tracking on par with Ant-Man, 22% ahead of Wonder Woman and more than double Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Also taking the top spot with a 40% share of the Top 5 films, Korea debuted on a non- traditional Wednesday to an estimated Won 759m ($668k) from 1,134 screens. These results exceeded opening day numbers for First Avenger by +53% and were on par with Thor. The running cume is now KRW 1.2b ($1.1m).
- Australia debuted on Thursday to an estimated A$895k ($636k), including previews, on 507 screens with a 48% share of the Top 5 five films. These results are tracking 4% ahead of First Avenger.
- UAE opened on Thursday to an estimated AED 2.3m ($630k) on 110 screens, dominating the market with over 50% share of the Top 5 films. Opening day is 46% ahead of Wonder Woman, 69% ahead of Ant-Man and more than double Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Brazil opened to an estimated R$ 2.2m ($564k) on 1,509 screens with over 60% share of the Top 5 films. These opening day results are coming on par with ANT-MAN and 10% over Guardians of the Galaxy. Including previews, the running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).
- France took in an estimated €366k ($411k) on 566 screens on its opening day, ranking #1 into Thursday. The running cume, including previews, is €691k ($777k).
- Taiwan dominated the market with 65% share of the Top 5 films, taking in an estimated NT$11.4m ($371k) on Wednesday from 220 screens. These results are +60% ahead of Ant-Man and +55% ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy. Including previews, the 2 day running cume is now NT$40.5m ($1.3m).
Back on the domestic side, Pet Sematary is off to a strong start all its own with $2.3 million earned from shows beginning at 7pm in 2,942 locations last night. The well-reviewed horror remake came in 16 percent ahead of Insidious: The Last Key ($1.98 million) and 28 percent ahead of 2013’s Evil Dead remake ($1.8 million).
Last but not least, The Best of Enemies pulled $265K from 1,440 locations during shows beginning at 7pm. That’s 51 percent ahead of Chappaquiddick, which earned $175K in its Thursday start one year ago.
Follow Boxoffice throughout the weekend for additional updates and weekend estimates.
Share this post