Joining this week’s report are a pair of counter-programmers hoping to find their audience during the second weekend of Thor: Love and Thunder.
Speaking of the next Marvel Cinematic Universe tentpole, current tracking ranges for it, The Black Phone, Elvis, and Minions: The Rise of Gru are in the chart below as usual.
Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
July 15, 2022
- An all-star voice cast and early summer trailer rotations give this below-the-radar animated release some initial awareness among parents and kids.
- Opening two weeks after Minions: The Rise of Gru and two weeks before DC League of Super-Pets gives it some (slight) breathing room.
- Early social trends are muted relative to the other major animated titles opening this summer.
- Despite two-week buffers ahead and behind, it’s likely that the Minions runway and eventual launch of Super-Pets overshadow this with their strong IP pull.
Where the Crawdads Sing
July 15, 2022
- Delia Owen’s hit novel has spent nearly three years’ on the New York Times Best Seller list.
- The film adaptation has generated strong imprints and social chatter since the release of its initial trailer, with trends often ahead of 2018’s A Simple Favor.
- Appeal to young and adult women should be notable as a strong counter-programming option in the middle of summer with minimal direct competition.
- Novel-to-film adaptations aren’t always slam-dunks at the box office, so critical reception and audience word of mouth will be key for adjusting the ceiling and floor of potential closer to release.
Long Range Box Office Forecast & 2022’s Upcoming Calendar
(as of 6/16/22)
|Release Date||Title||3-Day (FSS) Opening Low/High Range||Pinpoint % Chg from Last Week||Domestic Total Low/High Range||Pinpoint % Chg from Last Week||Distributor|
|6/24/2022||The Black Phone||$14,000,000 – $19,000,000||-11%||$43,000,000 – $67,000,000||-11%||Universal Pictures|
|6/24/2022||Elvis||$31,000,000 – $46,000,000||$94,000,000 – $143,000,000||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|7/1/2022||Minions: The Rise of Gru||$65,000,000 – $77,000,000||$195,000,000 – $260,000,000||-8%||Universal Pictures|
|7/8/2022||Thor: Love and Thunder||$155,000,000 – $205,000,000||$350,000,000 – $495,000,000||Disney / Marvel Studios|
|7/15/2022||Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris||Focus Features|
|7/15/2022||Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank||$9,000,000 – $14,000,000||$28,000,000 – $45,000,000||Paramount Pictures|
|7/15/2022||Where the Crawdads Sing||$17,000,000 – $26,000,000||$48,000,000 – $85,000,000||Sony / 3000 Pictures|
All above figures represent best and worst case scenarios for how each respective film is currently tracking based on existing market conditions and projected model fluctuation before release. These are not final forecasts.
Additional pinpoint opening weekend and domestic total projections are available to clients. For more information on forecasts, pricing, and availability, please contact us.