Our look ahead to May’s key box office contenders continues this week with an early peak at a trio of releases slated to open on May 17, the penultimate weekend before the Memorial Day frame.
John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum
Opening Weekend Range: $30 – 40 million
- The franchise has proven incredibly popular with the second film’s strong $30.4 million debut and solid staying power up to $92 million domestically — all following the leggy run of 2014’s original film.
- A general absence of action films targeting adult males around this time of year — and a considerable three-week distance from Avengers: Endgame — should prove beneficial, especially with Memorial Day landing on its second weekend.
- Reactions to this film’s early trailers have been very enthusiastic, mirroring the positive sentiment earned by Chapter 2 two years ago.
- Franchises can often be susceptible to diminished returns as they go deeper into sequel territory, so pre-release reception will be important to watch out for.
A Dog’s Journey
Opening Weekend Range: $8 – 14 million
- Fans of W. Bruce Cameron’s novels and previous adaptations of his work — A Dog’s Purpose and A Dog’s Way Home — are expected to be the driving force here.
- Getting a one-week jump on Memorial Day should provide padding to staying power.
- The sort-of-franchise already experienced diminished returns with A Dog’s Way Home earlier this year. This film faces the additional challenge of landing on Detective Pikachu‘s second weekend, while then facing Aladdin one week later.
The Sun Is Also A Star
Opening Weekend Range: $9 – 14 million
- This adaptation of the popular young adult novel could benefit from its diverse cast and a relative lack of direct competition from date night movies.
- Comparable films like Five Feet Apart, Love, Simon, Everything, Everything, and Me Before You have recently achieved success while counter-programming blockbuster titles in the early-year market.
- Young adult dramas in general are well off their early 2010s peak at the box office.
(Click the chart below to open larger view in a new tab)
Alex Edghill contributed to this report
Forecasts subject to change as location counts are finalized before Friday.
Contact us for information about subscribing to Boxoffice’s suite of forecasting and data services.
Share this post