Fifty Shades of Grey is now a $300 million worldwide hit. The film hit the global box office milestone this week after adding $209 million from overseas sales to its $102.7 million domestic tally. The worldwide total of the erotic thriller stands at $311.7 million going into the weekend.
Universal issued a press release stating the following overseas box office milestones:
Fifty Shades of Grey opened No. 1 in 54 territories.
- It is the biggest opening weekend for all films (all time) in 13 territories: Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Paraguay, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Ukraine, Uruguay and Venezuela.
- Fifty Shades of Grey is Universal’s biggest opening weekend of all time in 35 markets.
- It is the biggest opening weekend for an R-rated (or its international equivalent) film in 42 territories.
- The film grossed $55M on Saturday (2/14) and set the record as Universal’s highest grossing day ever.
- This is Universal’s second biggest international weekend behind Fast & Furious 6 with $161.3M.
- It is the biggest opening weekend for an R-rated film internationally, beating the previous record holder, The Matrix Revolutions ($117M) and other films such as 300: Rise of an Empire ($89M), Hangover 2 ($60.3M) and Sex and the City ($59M).