Daniel Garris, Shawn Robbins and Alex Edghill contributed to this report.
With Disney’s Captain America: Civil War sure to still be dominating the box office in its second weekend, not much is expected out of the two currently scheduled wide releases for May 13. Sony’s Money Monster, a thriller which stars George Clooney and Julia Roberts and is directed by Jodie Foster, looks to be the more promising of the two May 13 wide releases. Also opening on May 13 is High Top and BH Tilt’s The Darkness, a horror film starring Kevin Bacon, which will hope to see a boost from opening on Friday the 13th.
Money Monster (Sony / TriStar)
– George Clooney and Julia Roberts should help the film bring in moviegoers. Jodie Foster’s presence as director could help as well.
– Thanks in part to the lack of scheduled competition, Money Monster should serve as the primary alternative to Captain America: Civil War over the weekend of May 13.
– Money Monster has been performing modestly on Twitter thus far, while the film’s official Facebook page currently has only 8,545 likes.
– Clooney is coming off of the modest performance of Hail, Caesar! and Roberts is coming off of the soft performance of The Secret in their Eyes. In general, Roberts isn’t the box office draw she once was, while Clooney can be hit or miss.
– Films that deal with the financial world are often tough sells at the box office.
Check out our complete long range forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Money Monster||May 13, 2016||Sony / TriStar||$11,000,000||$32,000,000|
|The Darkness||May 13, 2016||High Top / BH Tilt||$6,000,000||$13,000,000|
|Captain America: Civil War||May 6, 2016||Disney||$163,000,000||$425,000,000|
|Keanu||Apr 29, 2016||Warner Bros. / New Line||$20,000,000||$50,000,000|
|Mother’s Day (2016)||Apr 29, 2016||Open Road||$13,000,000||$45,000,000|
|Ratchet & Clank||Apr 29, 2016||Focus / Gramercy||$7,500,000||$19,000,000|
|The Huntsman: Winter’s War||Apr 22, 2016||Universal||$31,000,000||$77,000,000|
|The Jungle Book (2016)||Apr 15, 2016||Disney||$60,000,000||$185,000,000|
|Barbershop: The Next Cut||Apr 15, 2016||Warner Bros. / New Line||$17,000,000||$42,000,000|
|Criminal (2016)||Apr 15, 2016||Lionsgate / Summit||$11,000,000||$33,000,000|
|The Boss||Apr 8, 2016||Universal||$20,000,000||$70,000,000|
|Hardcore Henry||Apr 8, 2016||STX Entertainment||$8,500,000||$24,000,000|
|God’s Not Dead 2||Apr 1, 2016||Pure Flix||$14,000,000||$43,000,000|
|Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Mar 25, 2016||Warner Bros.||$159,000,000||$385,000,000|
|My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2||Mar 25, 2016||Universal||$17,500,000||$65,000,000|