This week’s report takes a first look at the month of May, which may be a challenge for some films opening in the wake of Avengers: Endgame.
Opening Weekend Range: $11 – 16 million
- Counter-programming the big Marvel blockbuster with an urban thriller could be a smart play, especially with Sony’s past success in the genre.
- Following the success of Breaking In and Don’t Breathe, audiences may draw comparisons between this film and those similar genre pics.
Opening Weekend Range: $13 – 18 million
- Seth Rogen has a solid track record with comedies friendly to adult date night audiences, including Neighbors and Knocked Up.
- Early buzz around the film is encouraging, particularly the chemistry between Charlize Theron and Rogen.
- Several films aiming to counter-program in May (such as The Hustle and Poms) will be targeting adult audiences and female viewers, creating potential for overlap.
Opening Weekend Range: $7 – 12 million
- This will provide an option for parents with young kids not old enough for the more mature content of Avengers: Endgame.
- Aside from the Avengers shadow, the following week’s Detective Pikachu provides another significant source of competition for young audiences.
|Release Date||Title||3-Day Wide Release Tracking||% Chg from Last Week||Domestic Total Forecast||% Chg from Last Week||Estimated Location Count||Distributor|
|3/15/2019||Five Feet Apart||$12,000,000||-8%||$36,000,000||-8%||2,600||Lionsgate|
|3/29/2019||Hotel Mumbai||n/a||n/a||–||Bleecker Street|
|4/5/2019||The Best of Enemies||$10,000,000||$30,000,000||–||STX|
|4/5/2019||Pet Sematary (2019)||$28,000,000||$65,000,000||–||Paramount|
|4/12/2019||Hellboy (2019)||$20,000,000||-9%||$42,000,000||-9%||–||Lionsgate / Summit|
|4/12/2019||Missing Link||$10,000,000||$39,000,000||–||Annapurna Pictures|
|4/17/2019||Penguins||$4,500,000||$17,500,000||–||Disney / Disneynature|
|4/19/2019||The Curse of La Llorona||$20,000,000||$45,000,000||–||Warner Bros. (New Line)|
|4/26/2019||Avengers: Endgame||$265,000,000||$695,000,000||–||Disney / Marvel|
|5/3/2019||The Intruder||$14,500,000||NEW||$40,000,000||NEW||–||Sony / Columbia|
|5/3/2019||Long Shot||$16,000,000||NEW||$60,000,000||NEW||–||Lionsgate / Summit|
Alex Edghill contributed to this report
Forecasts subject to change as location counts are finalized before Friday.